Monday, August 13, 2007

WANTED: Confidence at crucial moments.

i bumped into my Indian prince again yesterday. This time it was in the shop at the end of Hysteria Lane. I can't work out what it is about these encounters that really freak me out. It could be that he is so astoundingly beautiful. I couldn't even think of anything to say this time apart from, 'Hi, how are you?'
When am i going to grow up and turn into the kind of woman who seizes every opportunity to make herself fabulous and desirable no matter what her intentions toward the male in question?
I'm really annoying myself. At crucial moments i seem to become frozen, my personality drains away through my toes and i am consumed by a ridiculous level of self consciousness. I mean i can sit here now and say i am an intelligent attractive female who's friends enjoy my company, but i'm damned if i don't turn into some goofy 11 year old when i really need to pull it out of the bag.
I'm also past the age where this could come across as cute or endearing. I think it probably just comes across as disinterest or even worse-disdain.
I suffer similar symptoms at job interviews, in fact in many situations where it's absolutely imperative that i perform on the spot.
I suppose, what i really think is (deep down) that if anything is a genuine opportunity, that really could be important in your life, you'll get another shot (or two or three or four).
Am i right?

1 comment:

lola said...

maybe the fact that you're thinking you'll get another shot makes it less likely you'll perform? I find I put a destinctly laughable self preservation order on myself in such situations, as soon as you decide you'll get another chance to make it right it takes away the pressure and either you're the kind of person who rises up and snatches that pressure or you're the kind of person who thinks bah, next time gadget next time.....both have their flaws, neither is completely right.....What I would say though is that whatever will be will be. Always.